On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:53:30 -0500 (EST), Charles Sprickman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Tom Collins wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 2004, at 8:04 AM, Pedro Pais wrote:
> >> When a user tries to authenticate itself, the first time vchkpw fails with:
> >>
> >> "Dec  6 21:50:08 [vpopmail] vchkpw-smtp: password fail"
> >>
> >> but then it succeeds immediatly after:
> >>
> >> "Dec  6 21:50:13 [vpopmail] vchkpw-smtp: (PLAIN) login success"
> >>
> >> This is very annoying, besides the fact that this only happens with
> >> Thunderbird, with other e-mail clients they give an error message and
> >> the connection is terminated. Is there any way to solve this thing?
> >
> > It looks like the client is trying CRAM-MD5, failing, and then using PLAIN
> > authentication.
> >
> > You probably have an older patch, or a version problem between the smtp-auth
> > patch and vpopmail.  The older patch sent the information in the incorrect
> > order, and vpopmail was written to accept it in that order.  We fixed
> > vpopmail for the 5.4.0 release, but it required updating to the correct SMTP
> > AUTH patch.
>
> Also, I'm fairly certain that CRAM-MD5 requires that you have clear-text
> passwords enabled.  I still need to look at my pop and smtp servers to see
> how I can make them not advertise something that's not available on my
> system...
>
> Charles
Really? That doesn't sound too secure, or even ethical.
Well, I've found a way to disable the announcement of CRAM-MD5:
edit qmail-smtpd.c, and delete (or comment out) the line that says
"#define AUTHCRAM". Then compile, install qmal and CRAM-MD5 support is
gone.

--
Pedro Pais
Skype name: pedro.pais