I got it working, sort of. Went through the whole thing, fired up the new
smtpd and find that while chkuser IS functioning, it's just not WORKING.

I'm just running a basic qmail 1.03 install. No vpopmail, no fancy stuff.

In the following text, the rcpt to [EMAIL PROTECTED] should bounce. But
it doesn't. my .qmail-default for the general mail server (affecting all
domains) has nothing but the string # bounce-no-mailbox' in it but it just
doesn't catch.

ltaica:/var/qmail.new/bin# ./qmail-smtpd
220 altaica.tigerknight.org ESMTP
mail from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 ok
rcpt to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CHKUSER accepted rcpt: from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote <:unknown:unknown>
rcpt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> : found existing recipient
250 ok
rcpt to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CHKUSER rejected relaying: from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote
<:unknown:unknown> rcpt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> : client not allowed to relay
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3 -
chkuser)
quit
221 altaica.tigerknight.org