Bob Ababurko wrote:

Hello-

I am trying to move the maildirs form one server to a newer box that I have
done a resinstall on and I am having some major issues.  I am using vpopmail
5.4.0 on both machines.  I have a working vpopmail install on the new box
and it is time to migrate the accounts and maildirs.
I figured that I could copy the /vpopmail/domains folder over to the new
machine and thigs would be ok since I am using vchkpw and that is with the
dir structure but it seems that I may have made an amatuer move because I
cannot log into the accounts with telnet and when I access them with vqadmin
to change passwords things get erased.
Can someone please help me see the light!

thanks,
Bob

I swear,

This really should be a howto. I was just on this mailling list trying to figure out this same problem. Since I posted I have seen 3 other people having questions about the same thing. I have my mail server setup like this:

It is being constantly backed up to aonther computer. The crontab is setup so that if the mail server shuts down for what ever reason, I can just direct mail over to the backup and it will run exactly the same.

stop qmail on both machines
copy exactly over:
/var/qmail/alias
/var/qmail/users
/var/qmail/control
/home/vpopmail/domains

Then change the permissions on the /home/vpopmail/domains directory
chown -R vpopmail:vchkpw /home/vpopmail/domains/*
chown -R vpopmail:vchkpw /home/vpopmail/domains/

start qmail back up... and TADA

Hope this helps
-Blake-