On Thursday 03 November 2005 07:38 pm, Sam wrote:
> >> I noticed that one local user which I created when I installed qmail and
> >> before installing vpopmail, was getting lots of messages from qmail
> >> under /home/user/Maildir.
> >
> >what do your logs say about this? (Hint: if you had some of those messages
> >you
> >recently deleted around, they would certainly help ;)
>
> The directory was  /home/user/Maildir/new  was full of thousands of
> messages in this format:
> 12345678999.16207.qmail ,S=14766

yea, that's how qmail formats the filename, that is not helpful.

> When I tried to go in the directory to read one of the messages, the
> computer would hang.
> That is why I decided to delete the directory.
> Now my qmail log shows:
> "@40000000436ab0a416ec08cc new msg 116203
>
> @40000000436ab0a416ee27c4 info msg 116203: bytes 2061 from <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> qp 20944
> uid 507
> @40000000436ab0a417e5a724 info msg 116176: bytes 2174 from <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> qp 20947
> uid 501

those are double bounces,  you can tell because of ther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
envelope
sender.

> I do not know what the messages are about and where they are going .
> /var/spool/mail  has nothing in it.
> Under vpopmail I have [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The qmail.domain.com is the local machine
>
> >> It took the system more than one hour to delete the
> >> /home/user/Maildir/new
> >> directory and /home/user/Maildir/tmp and left /home/user/Maildir/cur.
> >> Now the server is working fine, but qmail did not recreate the "new" and
> >> "tmp" directories again.
> >
> >it's not supposed to.
> >-Jeremy
>
> Ok, but why qmail was writing to that directory?
> Thank you All for your help.
> Sam

because double bounces get delivered to postmaster by default.  If your
'defaultdomain' (which defaults to the contents of the 'me' file) is in
locals, it delivers to there.  My guess is you have, in
~alias/.qmail-postmaster, a line like &user, and &user has a maildir.

Please show us the full, *unedited* output of qmail-showctl and we can assist
you further.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen ++ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the beginning was The Word and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
  -- The Word of Bob.