On 2007-09-19, at 1532, mlist wrote:

Please try creating a domain with a long name, up around 80-90 characters long.

I did as you said and I recieved errors. Here is the command I used and the errors returned.

vmysql: error creating table 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_com': Incorrect table name 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_com'
Error. Failed while attempting to add domain to auth backend

you missed the other error message. mysql has a limit of 64 bytes for a table name (at least mysql versions 5.1, 5.0, and 5.1 do, i'm assuming earlier versions had the same limit.)

also see RFC 1035 section 2.3.4. each portion of a domain name (i.e. the "abc" in "abc.com") can be no longer than 63 bytes, and no full hostname (i.e. "www.abc.com") can be longer than 255 bytes.

and since mysql has a limit of 64 bytes for a table name, you have a... maybe not a bug, but a design flaw. the name "aaaaa(63 times).com" IS a valid domain name, but "aaaaa(63 times)_com" is NOT a valid table name.

perhaps you shouldn't store each domain's data in a separate table? i've never understood the reason for creating separate tables for each domain anyway- but since i don't normally use a SQL back-end for mailbox information, it's not something i really worry about.

| John M. Simpson    ---   KG4ZOW   ---    Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173 |