I like the idea.  Other tests which would be useful:

-check VM host license expiration dates
-check if the network names defined in the VM profile are available on
the VM hosts
-check amount of space available for VM host datastores, management
node repository, and management node volume where vcld.log is being
written
-make sure required attributes are defined for VMs such as MAC
addresses if they are not auto-generated
-check if time is sychronized on VM hosts, management node, and the
database server
-send a test sysadmin email message

The architecture of 'vcld -setup' hasn't been discussed on this list
so now is a good time to begin.  The idea is for vcld to handle all of
the details so that any module just needs to implement a subroutine
named 'setup' and it automatically gets added to the menu.  This
allows any module to contain options specific to itself but results in
a somewhat clunky menu system.

It would be good to have a single menu option where all of the tests
appear yet still allow each module to implement it's own test code.
In order to do this, the setup_management_node sub in vcld will need
to be extended.  I had thought about adding something like this in the
past but never completed it.  I was thinking of adding code to vcld to
look for modules which implement a 'setup_check' subroutine (the same
way it looks for 'setup') and then put all of these under a single
menu option.

There are a few bits and pieces to look at in the current code.  There
is a setup_check subroutine in Windows.pm.  It simply gets called by
Windows.pm::setup every time it is run.  It only checks if product
keys have been configured.  The Module.pm::setup_test_rpc_xml
subroutine would be another one that would be part of this.

-Andy