We began working with the VCL software about two years ago at Amherst College,
and in that time, the community has grown well beyond its NCSU roots. I am
seeing significantly more activity on the lists as well as more JIRA issues and
contributed code from the wider community. I would also support a vote for
graduation.

As for the website, I agree that some design work would be really useful. I am
assuming that ASF would provide a hosting arrangement, i.e. a domain like
vcl.apache.org<http://vcl.apache.org>? Would that also include server space to
run any type of CMS? Confluence is a nice all-in-one package, though if you are
considering a complete overhaul of the site, I could also recommend a system
like Drupal (MySQL + PHP). Drupal has a lot of bells and whistles that can make
for a very nice, highly interactive site. The downside of drupal is that it is
not specifically designed to handle software documentation. On the other hand,
if we only need to serve static html pages that focus on documentation, etc, I
can also recommend Sphinx. The downside of Sphinx is that it is really best for
Python and C++ projects, and it doesn't support web-based updates -- it does
create excellent sites, though.

I am also a little unclear on the timeframe for modifying the website -- it
this something that would be done prior to graduation or upon graduation?

Aaron Coburn

--
Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer