There is definitely a performance penalty for running ESXi as a guest OS.
 I don't think the hardware virtualization features of the CPU can be
passed on to an ESXi guest, which also means no 64-bit guests inside the
ESXi guest.

Suggest reading the notes on this blog:
http://www.vcritical.com/2009/05/vmware-esx-4-can-even-virtualize-itself/

Regards,