On 05/04/07, LingBo Tang <Lingbo.Tang at sun.com> wrote:
> > Another nice feature I've seen on Linux, is the ability to configure
> > it to display syslog output on one of the virtual consoles.
> > Will it be possible to do something like this with Solaris?
>
> If you can describe more details in this function as you expect,
> we may think about it. Thanks!

I can field this question I think.

Many Linux distributions allow you to redirect the system messages you
normally get spammed with (such as unknown hsot name "loghost", etc.)
to a specific console. That way you can essentially "watch" what goes
into /var/log/messages on a Linux box on a specific virtual console
instead of having that output (rather inconveniently) go to the same
console as the one you are using (causing your vi session to be
annoyingly interrupted as an example).

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
binarycrusader at gmail.com - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/