I will chime in again and also state this has nothing to do with 1 particular channel. This, at least in North America, happens no matter what channel it is on. I can't recall any live TV ever being affected, but every recording I have has desync issues if I play straight through VDR on a FF card, some worse than others mind you, but every one gets out of sync. I don't know if it is an NTSC thing or what. I am willing to accept that if it is, but the problem still stands. But it sounds as if it happens on PAL systems as well from all those that have chimed in. I am in no way ungrateful for everything VDR has done and all the development from others, but this problem has been brought up many times in the past and ends up getting dropped as mentioned. Mainly, obviously due to the fact the developers can't reproduce it. But it isn't just Mplayer that plays fine, Xine plays fine as well. Both of these outputting via the FF Card. So, not just going full software mode. So that's 2 different playback devices that bypass whatever bugs or whatnot you might be mentioning. It is only when playing back through whatever VDR is using. It may very well be passing it straight through and the others aren't. But that is what we are trying to find out. And find out if there is a way that we can have an option if anything to choose playback a different way. I am not a programmer, so I don't know the ins or outs of how this can be accomplished, but being as so many others are now complaining about it, there has to be some way of figuring this out. Thanks for any insight you have on looking into this problem.

Pasi Juppo wrote:

Udo Richter wrote:
C.Y.M wrote:
If the answer to this question could be discovered, then problem
solved.  So,
what you are suggesting is VDR is not doing something that mplayer is
doing that
fixes the problem.  Hmmmmmm... so then it is not a driver or firmware
issue
after all?? Could we agree that much? :)
I wouldn't go that far. For this concrete case, since it is limited to
one specific channel, there's a good chance that the encoding of the
channel breaks some standards limitation.
There's also most likely nothing wrong on VDR, as VDR is basically just
forwarding data streams. If mplayer does a better job, then its probably
more like a bug workaround.
Generally, things would be a lot better if the driver/firmware would do
A/V resyncing constantly and not just at playback start. That way, A/V
desync wouldn't built up, and desync would only happen for a short time.

How come you make the conclusion that this is limited to one specific
channel? To my understanding there are multiple channels where this
problem occurs.

The best to start solving this problem is to try to figure out what
happens with the recordings that are correct but still cause desync
problems. This has been suggested already by many readers. Since it
seems that only few people have access to the firmware source code the
debugging is quite limited..

Br, Pasi