Hi. My opinion is that nvidia's ION platform with vdpau and XBMC gives the best
result. The atom's cpu load is <10% playing 1080p h264 so forget the 3GHz core2
unless you want to play Flash HD movies or other non-vdpau formats.
It's not very cheap yet but you can build a fanless one for €200. For example a
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1072 together with 2G ram and a pico-psu.
/Magnus H