On 03/03/10 13:35, VDR User wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM, L. Hanisch <d...@flensrocker.de> wrote:
>>  On my first thought I considered to take 'A' for 'analog', but since there
>> is something like "ATSC" (and I know nothing about it, if it's supported by
>> vdr or is covered by dvbdevice or whatever), perhaps I should use another
>> one?
>>  So I think it would be better to take *'V' = 'analog video'*, since
>> pvrinput is basically an interface to v4l-devices.
>
> "ATSC is a set of standards developed by the Advanced Television
> Systems Committee for digital television transmission. ATSC replaced
> much of the analog NTSC television system[1]  in the United
> States[2][3]  on June 12, 2009 and will replace NTSC by August 31,
> 2011 in Canada[4]  and December 31, 2021 in Mexico."
>
> Yes, I think you should take ATSC into consideration unless you want
> to ignore North America. ;)

Except ATSC is a subset of DVB.. At the moment ATSC is flagged as T,
which I think it should be..

For people that don't really know, ATSC comes in two flavours (or
flavors), Over the Air, and Clear Qam.  Over the air is using a roof top
antenna, like DVB-T, then we get Clear Qam, where you plugin the input
from your cable company.  By law all cable companies must provide clear
(ie, non encoded) local channels.  However, Comcast in our region has
just released a "Basic Digital" package, which means we get about 60
channels now Clear Qam, including stuff you would have thought would be
encoded (and is on Euro Sat).

If you don't want to mess with Nagra-3, card readers, and such like,
it's the best way to get VDR showing useful programming.

Now, if only there was a channel scanner that could write a VDR style
channels.conf with ATSC..

Just in case someone is searching archives, the best way to work out
what you should have in your area is to look at the silicon dust website
(the manufactorer of the the hdhomerun devices.  These will show you (by
zip) for OTA and Cable..

My zip code is here:

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:61103#lineup_1635553

A channel scanner won't always find the info you need for Cable..

I had to manually insert several Vpids (which for my area were one less
than the apid) and turn off auto update.. I then had to tell VDR they
were type =2..

Maybe I'll do a Comcast-VDR howto sometime..

--

Rob Davis