I don't understand what would be easy in using SQL. Since the channels.conf-code is already there, and pretty stable, then obviously rewriting that to SQL is not "easy", but instead additional work.
Justifying additional work needs some reason.

I think adding dependencies to outside packages is a burden that should be avoided. There are already many things I need to install separately in order the vdr box to work; kernel, graphics drivers, and xine-lib. Luckily, lirc is now already part of the kernel, and DVB drivers, too; much less hassle than before. This is the right direction to go - not adding more moving parts that need
to be installed (with compatible versions).

yours,
        Jouni