Don't know. At one point it was but I know there was a patch to turn it off for slower systems that couldn't record and epg scan at the same time. But for awhile that was the recomendation, to set a nightly timer for a few minutes and then delete them. Setting the life time low for the recording should make it auto delete. I haven't tried it though.