On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Ville Skyttä <ville.sky...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Even though they'd get lost when VDR writes it, allowing comments there
> would be an improvement so distros (and VDR itself) could ship the file
> with some comments in it that instruct users what they need to do before
> things will work, or what the file is for, or...  Same thing applies to
> remote.conf, setup.conf, and timers.conf.
>
> If the "AllowComments" parameter exists just for the purpose of
> disallowing comments in files where VDR doesn't preserve them, I suggest
> removing that restriction altogether and allowing comments everywhere.
> Allowing comments and preserving them are two different things.  For
> files where VDR doesn't preserve them it could note that on the first
> line of such files, for example like:
>
> # Warning: VDR will overwrite this file without preserving comments.

I see no real benefit in complicating file (which stores only channel
information) functions with what you've suggested. It just seems like
a bunch of unnecessary work inside VDR for something that isn't any
more useful than simply putting such info/comments in the README,
MANUAL, INSTALLATION, or other appropriate files.