Hi Saggi,

----- Original Message -----

While one can understand the pain of debugging complex systems, respectfully,
this approach seems more problematic than helpful.

First, it was filling up the system disk. In 10 minutes there were four
compressed log files for libvirt alone, not to mention the vdsmd.log files.
Talking with the rest of the performance team, we always turn all this off so
that we don't loose our systems while testing.

Additionally to get the logging to stop, one has to modify the vdsmd start up
script to get libvirt to stop logging so much. Each time a modification was
made to libvirt's configuration file to make it stop, libvirt kept up all its
debug logging. All the documentation on the libvirt web page tells one what to
do to affect its behavior, but in the presence of vdsm that is not the case.
Somehow, that seems like a problem to have one subsystem completely override
another with leaving any indication that it is doing so.

Second, it is expensive to have such overhead. Compressing and maintaining
arbitrary sized log files of text takes processing time away from the VMs. It
was amazing to see how often xz would run on a box, not knowing it was related
to maintaining these log files.

There must be a better way than collecting all the data we could possibly need
ahead of time just in case a problem comes up.

Have you considered asserting the expected state of the system before embarking
on changing that state?

> In a nutshell order to filter out debug messages grep -v is you
> friend.

grep -v is not useful when your system disk fills up. :)

And Why wouldn't an attacker use that fact in some sort of denial of service?
And if the counter is to configure the log files so that they are processed
more often and kept to a small number, then as the amount of data grows (like
when multiple VMs are created) the original problem will get lost as it is
truncated.

So if we already a finite data set of sorts, why not drop using log files in
favor of using a dedicated ring buffer that stores ultra-compressed binary data
(enough to track the problem) with a tool that can format that ring buffer into
useable output.

When we were writing the thread library for Tru64 Unix and OpenVMS, such ring
buffers were invaluable to help find complicated timing problems across
multiple processors.

Respectfully,

-peter

Ps - Blessed Passover to you!