-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Will
Glass-Husain
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 10:59 AM
To: Velocity Users List
Subject: Re: Beginner trying to install velocity to
apache server

Actually, Velocity provides the "VelocityViewServlet"
which is a ultra simple web framework (i.e. category 1).
You just drop the templates in your Tomcat web app and
you go.

Have you seen this article?

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/webapps.html

WILL

On 9/22/06, Peter Locke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can't comment on Click as I've never used it, but I
must recommend
> staying away from Struts.  I know I may start an
argument here as
> there are a lot of people who still live by them but
I've used Struts,
> and while they were great when they first came out and
there weren't
> alternatives,  I have found them to be inferior to many
other newer MVC/MVC2 frameworks.

> You don't NEED anything from 1.  To be honest, I
wouldn't bother with
> any other MVC framework until you learn velocity and
all it offers.

> All you need to do to get velocity based pages to
render your computer is:

> Install Tomcat and then Velocity.  That's it.
>
> Once you are comfortable with the above and are writing
some simple
> velocity backed servlets, then do your OWN
investigation as to a
> supporting framework to help you.  My suggestions to
look at are
> Spring MVC/Web flow, Tapestry, JSF, but remember these
aren't
> necessary, and in my opinion can add an unnecessary
layer unless the web app developed is going to be quite
large.

> Again this is a matter of opinion and others may argue
that you should
> never develop a web app without one of these helper
frameworks under
> the templating language, and I encourage you to explore
them for
> yourself after getting comfortable with a basic
velocity only webapp.

apache server

> Wow, I really wasn't getting it! Thanks everyone. May I
ask a
> clarifacatory question?
>
> It seemed to me that all the stuff mentioned goes into
two categories:

> 1: click, struts
> 2: tomcat, jboss, websphere, resin, jetty
>
> And possibly 3: resin, apache.
>

> And my understanding is that to get velocity to render
on my pc, I
> need to install one thing from category 1, and one
thing from category 2. Correct?

> I'm going to want to install either the easiest or the
one with the
> most detailed install documentation available.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brenton

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> For additional commands, e-mail: