On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Fred M <77fre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My employer is requesting I evaluate PureDisk and DataDomain for
> de-duplication.

One of the selling advantages of the PureDisk appliances is that you only
buy the de-dupe licenses once.  All hardware eventually gets old.  When that
happens, you can buy another PureDisk appliance and re-use your existing
de-dupe licenses.  You could build your own appliance with off-the-shelf
hardware and re-use the licenses.  With a DD, when you upgrade the hardware,
you're re-buying the software again since the prices are not separate.

When you're doing the cost comparisons, factor in not only the initial
purchase but also subsequent purchases.

I despise per-TB licenses too (as somebody else pointed out),  If I had a
choice, I wouldn't buy them and would tend to avoid the PureDisk licensing
model specifically for this reason.

   .../Ed