I don't buy that rational. How often do you think you are going to turn over an
appliance? It is more likely you will add to the pool of appliances. I know we
have never turned over a VTL and only now we are replacing them with DD's.

From: veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Ed Wilts
Sent: Wednesday, 16 February 2011 3:46 AM
To: Fred M
Cc: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] PureDisk vs. DataDomain

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Fred M
<77fre...@gmail.com<mailto:77fre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
My employer is requesting I evaluate PureDisk and DataDomain for de-duplication.

One of the selling advantages of the PureDisk appliances is that you only buy
the de-dupe licenses once.  All hardware eventually gets old.  When that
happens, you can buy another PureDisk appliance and re-use your existing
de-dupe licenses.  You could build your own appliance with off-the-shelf
hardware and re-use the licenses.  With a DD, when you upgrade the hardware,
you're re-buying the software again since the prices are not separate.

When you're doing the cost comparisons, factor in not only the initial purchase
but also subsequent purchases.

I despise per-TB licenses too (as somebody else pointed out),  If I had a
choice, I wouldn't buy them and would tend to avoid the PureDisk licensing
model specifically for this reason.

   .../Ed