To answer your question, we tested both the NBU 5000 (Symantec) and the
DD860 (Data Domain) and the differences couldn't be more stark.  I was
using a 30 minute checkpoint interval.  I never achieved anything better
than 15:1 from the NBU5000 (which isn't bad).  The DD860 hit 39:1 at the
time I disabled all of the policies.  This was running daily full backups
on an array of different servers (DB2, Windows file servers, UNIX file
servers, and Siebel app servers) over the course of 2 months.

The NBU5000 is a fixed block device, the DD860 a variable block device.
There is no way of knowing if checkpoints were the culprit for the NBU5000
getting the lesser ratio, but it does present a plausible theory.