Some notes inline.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Paul Robertson <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We recently experienced a Cisco network issue which prevented all
> nodes in that subnet from accessing the default gateway for about a
> minute.
>
> The Solaris nodes which run probe-based IPMP reported that all
> interfaces had failed because they were unable to ping the default
> gateway; however, they came back within seconds once the network issue
> was resolved. Fine.

It would say "FAILED" in the ifconfig output. But the interface will still
try to work long as the link existed.

> Unfortunately, our VCS nodes initiated an offline of the service group
> after the IPMultiNICB resources detected the IPMP fault. Since the
> service group offline/online takes several minutes, the outage on
> these nodes was more painful. Furthermore, since the peer cluster
> nodes in the same subnet were also experiencing the same mpathd fault,
> there would have been little advantage to failing over the service
> group to another node.
>
> We would like to find a way to configure VCS so that the service group
> does not offline (and any dependent resources within the service group
> are not offlined) in the event of an mpathd (i.e. IPMultiNICB)
> failure. In looking through the documentation, it seems that the
> closest we can come is to increase the IPMultiNICB ToleranceLimit from
> "1" to a huge value:

Best way to get around this is to have 2 different switches. Always 2 for
interconnect, and 2 for public.

Also IMHO IPMP sucks. Linux NIC bonding works WAY better. IF you ever make
that platform switch life will be much better.

>  # hatype -modify IPMultiNICB ToleranceLimit 9999
>
> This should achieve our desired goal, but I can't help thinking that
> it's an ugly hack, and that there must be a better way. Any
> suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul
>
> P.S. A snippet of the main.cf file is listed below:
>

>  group multinicbsg (
>   SystemList = { app04 = 1, app05 = 2 }
>   Parallel = 1
>   )
>
>   MultiNICB multinicb (
>           UseMpathd = 1
>           MpathdCommand = "/usr/lib/inet/in.mpathd -a"
>           Device = { ce0 = 0, ce4 = 2 }
>           DefaultRouter = "192.168.9.1"
>           )
>
>   Phantom phantomb (
>           )
>
>   phantomb requires multinicb
>
>  group app_grp (
>   SystemList = { app04 = 0, app05 = 0 }
>   )
>
>   IPMultiNICB app_ip (
>           BaseResName = multinicb
>           Address = "192.168.9.34"
>           NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
>
>   Proxy appmnic_proxy (
>           TargetResName = multinicb
>           )
>
>   (various other resources, including some that depend on app_ip
>   excluded for brevity)
>
>   app_ip requires appmnic_proxy

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a stick" -
Jack London