-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Darren
Dunham
Sent: jueves, 29 de marzo de 2007 19:03
To: Veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-vx] resizing a device

> Actually my first live-and-learn experience with VVM was due to moving
> disk back and forth between servers (fast, easy and dangerous way to
> move 4T of data);

Why dangerous?  Deporting/importing disks to migrate data is a pretty
normal thing.

> the id's got mixed, VVM reported "already initialized"
> for all new devices etc. so I experimentally mkfs'ed the real device
> instead of vx device. Result: Disaster in a file system that consisted
> of two concatenated disks. Deceivingly it worked fine for two weeks
> until vxconfigd restarted probably upon VEA installation.

"the id's got mixed" just shouldn't happen.  I realize it's not part of
your current issue, but I would be interested to understand more about
what happened in this case.

> Thus, I'm looking for a way to resize a file system without too much
> hassle with temporary disks.

You have chosen to set up your system in a way that few others appear to
use: a diskgroup on a single LUN that you plan to resize.

The FS and volume resize are trivial.  Your issue is that dynamic lun
resize appears to require multiple disks within the diskgroup to work.
The only ways I know of around that issue are even more fiddly than
using a temporary disk.

(If you scripted it, the temp disk thing shouldn't be much of a hassle,
but you would have to maintain it).

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

La informacion incluida en el presente correo electronico es CONFIDENCIAL,
siendo para el uso exclusivo del/os destinatario/s arriba mencionado/s. Si
usted recibe y lee este correo electronico y no es el destinatario senalado, el
empleado o el agente responsable de entregar el mensaje al destinatario, o ha
recibido esta comunicacion por error, le informamos que esta totalmente
prohibida cualquier divulgacion, distribucion, uso o reproduccion del mismo, y
le rogamos que nos lo notifique inmediatamente respondiendo al mensaje original
a la direccion arriba mencionada y eliminando el mensaje a continuacion.

The information contained in this e-mail is CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only
for the use of the addressee named above.If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
message to the intended recipient, or you have received this communication in
error, please be aware that any diffusion, distribution or duplication of this
communication is strictly forbidden, and please notify us immediately by return
to the original message at the address above eliminating it afterwards.