James,

As you correctly note in your email, the dmpnodename doesn't affect
functionality. The dmpnodename is really just a 'label' for the DMP
metanode that handles multipathing over the underlying subpaths to a
given LUN.

You have a choice between two namingschemes in SF: Enclosure Based Names
(EBN) and OS Names (OSN). Your system is set to OSN, and so DMP picks
'one' of the OS device names of the underlying subpaths and uses it to
name the dmp metanode. If your system was set to EBN, the dmpnodename
would be something like AMS_WMS0_5 (or AMS_WMS0_6, you get the idea).
The OS name really has no more meaning to DMP than the AMS_WMS0_5. It's
just a label.

In OSN, DMP picks which subpath name to use for the dmpnodename based on
some kernel identifiers. That's how a straighforward algorithm based on
kernel identifiers can lead to names that seem inconsistent to a user.
We are changing the algorithm in 5.0 MP3 to avoid such outcomes: in 5.0
MP3, an OSN dmpnodename will be the subpath name with the smallest c#,
then t# and then d#. That way if you have 50 devices presented through
c5 and c6, their dmpnodenames will reliably all start with c5.

In general, I would advise against enabling MPxIO in an SFHA
environment.
I hope this helps,

Thomas