Only as of Solaris 10 update 4 can you boot from ZFS. AT least, I think
you can. Zone roots can definitely go on ZFS, unsure about global zone.
I'm researching that question currently.

Raw devices = bad idea. PITA (as is preallocated table space, watch the
DBAs suck up all available disk space for a 9MB database -- and as a
sysadmin you can't see that their table space is 99% empty; that they
have performance reasons to do some preallocation is granted but not
99%). As for ZFS and Oracle, interesting -- be sure to read the details
on ZFS options to optimize record size of ZFS etc. they have some
specific recommendations.
Why would you let Oracle do mp is beyond me. I wouldn't let them do
cluster IP address control either. It's a database *application*.
Certainly I expect Oracle to manage locks on its database and handle the
distributed lock problem for itself....using standard APIs to do so.

ZFS is not Storage Foundation equivalent. It is certainly easier to use
than Solaris Volume Manager but it lacks the full power of Storage
Foundation for UNIX. Beware the limitations even in u4 for ZFS. For
example, once you assign a device to a raidz/raidz2 pool you can't take
it back: you must copy out all your data, destroy original and copy back
(all done with zfs send and recv -- and be VERY sure to use update 4 of
Solaris 10 with current patches). Ignore the book's begging to get hold
of individual SAN disk directly is my advice: let the SAN do its job of
virtualizing storage and let ZFS carve up the LUN as it sees fit (but
don't stripe or raidz multiple LUNs from the one SAN storage provider --
its fine to do that across multiple storage servers if you want to
provide cross-SAN redundancy but within one server let -it- take care of
the RAID on the other side of the SAN).

Sun would really like to eat Veritas's lunch but neither SVM nor ZFS is
ready to do that. I looked at the procedure, for example, of mirroring
an existing filesystem with SVM. Way more complicated than Vx!

ZFS has definitely got its place, especially with delegating storage to
zones. The per-filesystem quota is the same thing as just making a bunch
of VxVM volumes and putting a filesystem on it. With a full license for
VxVM and VxFS go right ahead and make 1024 volumes for 1024 users' home
directories 1 each. That's a hard 'quota', and just as you can expand
your ZFS filesystem to the limit of the pool you can expand your VxVM
volume to the limit of the disk group. The cost difference is quite
significant and that's a big motivator especially on high-end servers.

Dana Hudes
UNIX and Imaging group
NYC-HRA MIS
+1 718 510 8586