As you can see, disk_2 is showing in 'error' state.

But it should show as 'online invalid'.

There seems to be an error with the disk.

Check the status of the disk from OS/VxVM and SAN.

From: veritas-vx-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-vx-boun...@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Asiye Yigit
Sent: 06 October 2010 14:55
To: veritas-vx@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-vx] couldn't encapsulate boot disk

Hello;

I have installed SP 5.1RP2 on solaris 10 system.

I am trying to encapsulate the boot disk and after that I will make mirror.

In the vxdisk list,

It shows

DEVICE       TYPE            DISK         GROUP        STATUS

disk_2       auto            -            -            error

disk_3       auto:none       -            -            online invalid

st2540-0_0   auto:none       -            -            online invalid

when I try to encapsulate the disk disk_2;

it says

Select disk devices to encapsulate:

[<pattern-list>,all,list,q,?] disk_2

  Here is the disk selected.  Output format: [Device_Name]

  disk_2

Continue operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)

  You can choose to add this disk to an existing disk group or to

  a new disk group.  To create a new disk group, select a disk group

  name that does not yet exist.

Which disk group [<group>,list,q,?] rootdg

Create a new group named rootdg? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)

Use a default disk name for the disk? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)

  A new disk group will be created named rootdg and the selected

  disks will be encapsulated and added to this disk group with

  default disk names.

  disk_2

Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)

  This disk device is disabled (offline) and cannot be used.

  Output format: [Device_Name]

  disk_2

Hit RETURN to continue.

When I try to make online;

It says

Select a disk device to enable [<disk>,list,q,?] disk_2

  VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-531 Device disk_2: online failed:

        Device path not valid

Enable another device? [y,n,q,?] (default: n)

Is there any idea?

Best regards;