Since your following the Symantec suggestions, they state the boot disk must

Ø Two free partitions.

Ø 2048 consecutive sectors free.

Ø Enclosure-based names (EBN) has not been implemented (pre 5.1).

Ø Partition 2 spans the whole device with no defined file system.
You've still got to deal with the "error" state.

Bill