I have a working directory, let's call it "wd1,"  that contains
external definitions to a different repository host.  That repository
host must be reached through ssl, and requires certificates for
authentication.

I am able to put information in ~/.subversion/servers specifying
certificates and certificate passwords for that host.  Using that
information I am able to update wd1 through the command-line as "svn
update".  However, I am *not* able to update wd1 through versions.  It
seems that versions is not able to use the certificate information in
~/.subversions/servers.  I also found that if the connection prompted
me for a password, it would cause an error in versions.  Versions did
not seem to be able to intercept the password request.

I wasn't terribly bothered by this until recently --- it wasn't that
much trouble to update wd1 through the command-line, and most of my
interactions with wd1 worked fine.

However, I just pulled a new update of versions, and now the behavior
is much worse.  Versions seems to be polling the repository for this
working directory, causing it to repeatedly pop up a dialog window,
prompting me for my userid and password for this server.  This is very
annoying --- it effectively causes versions to lock up, and even if I
cancel out of the dialog box, it just comes back later.

Is there some way to avoid this behavior?  Is there some way I can
make versions attend to my .subversion/servers file?

I have just checked, and svn update from the command line still works
fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.