When you overwrite a folder in the Finder that has .svn folders inside
of it, svn has no way of controlling/knowing that. In other words,
Finder trumps svn. It took me awhile to get used to that.

Unless maintaining file history is paramount, I tend to just delete
the old folder from within Versions, and then commit. Note that once
you commit, SVN will also delete the folder, and files, from your
computer. So if you want to keep a copy of the folder before it's
gone, best to copy it over to a backup or some other place on your
computer.

But there are times when you just want to replace an existing
directory under svn control with a non-svn controlled one, and keep
all the file history. If you are familiar with running python scripts,
I uploaded a "shutil-svn.py" to the files area here. This will
recursively find and copy .svn folders from one directory to another.
You can then overwrite your svn directory with the new one - of
course, backup everything fist.

To run it from the command line, just navigate to the directory the
script is in, and enter "python shutil.py" - it will prompt you for
the paths to the directories you wish to work with. You can also run
this from within certain text editors like Textmate (apple + r).
Please test it out first as I don't want people yelling at me if it
doesn't work as expected :)

And of course, if there are python-folk here that wish to make the
script better, please do so!

There may be a more svn-like way to do this, but this has worked for
me when I've needed it.