I use FileMerge to compare files in Versions, and whenever I use
"Local Changes" on UTF-8 text files, all non-ASCII characters in the
left file (revBASE) come up garbled and are marked as different.
Unfortunately this makes these diffs useless for any file that
contains more than a handful of such characters.  Annoying!

Digging deeper I found that the revBASE files are missing the
"com.apple.TextEncoding" attribute and thus FileMerge defaults to the
Mac Roman encoding when loading them.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Did you find a workaround?