You can actually update multiple working copies at the command line,
as long as they're all stored in the same directory: svn update *
should do the trick. In any case, I don't think most users would have
a problem having a repository "locked" in a modal view during an
update - possibly displaying a transcript view or some GUI-fied
version of that. What is bothersome is being locked out of all the
other repositories you might want to work in while that process is
going on.

Also, although some AppleScript support would of course be nice, it's
kind of unnecessary to use that to solve this problem - because, as
you note, Versions is a GUI for Subversion, which is already perfectly
scriptable through the use of shell scripts. I think what people want
here isn't a scripted workaround - the whole point is that this would
be a convenience feature, and it's only really convenient if that's
handled through the GUI, I think.

-Gabriel