Disclaimer: Sometimes my tone seems confrontational, but I'm really being nice.
I just tend to looks at things objectively and pragmatically. Please don't let
me scare you off.  :-)

I meant "code symbols" to encapsulate function names; for example, it could
also include methods, classes, variables, etc.

File names would be easy to support, but remember that a Subversion repository
doesn't necessarily just store source code. Even assuming code, there is a wide
variety of programming languages that would have to be supported for such a
feature to be considered useful. On top of that, there's an implicit assumption
that most people even *put* script/function/class names in their log messages.

I just a Versions user too, but I'm also a software engineer myself, and my gut
reaction is that this feature — while admittedly cool and potentially useful —
is one that I would expect to require a lot more time and money than could be
justified, especially when compared to other core Subversion features like
merging.

Personally, when I *do* put code symbols (like class and method names) in a log
message, I either type them out by hand or copy/paste from the source or a
diff. I tend to triple-check changes before committing, so the latter is
usually the easiest.

As far as spelling mistakes, that's because Versions uses the built-in spelling
functionality and dictionary, which doesn't (and shouldn't) contain
script/function names. I'd bet that most users are more likely to misspell
common words than code symbols anyhow. I've caught a lot of minor typos this
way.

If I've missed something, please let me know. Thanks!

 - Quinn