Hi Sergey,

That's great and thank you very much. A couple of points I'm not sure of;
please let me check with you what I do - it's not quite working.
(1) I convert my RGB picture into HSL (this can be done through e.g. GIMP)
and export as 3 separate FITS files.
(2) I then import the Hue and Saturation fits file into Veusz.
(3) I have an image from the Hue file, using the "huevalue" colormap,
which is ((255, 0, 0), (255, 255, 0), (0, 255, 0), (0, 255, 255), (0, 0,
255), (255, 0, 255), (255, 0, 0))
(4) I have an image from the Saturation file, using the standard greyscale
colormap.
(5) Both have a transparency set to 50% - is this correct?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about greyscale with alpha = (1-C)
- what is C?

Mark Durré
Ph.D. Student
Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
PO Box 218, Hawthorn
Victoria 3122, Australia
Email: mdu...@swin.edu.au