  From: Jimmy D. Moore
  To: Virtual Fly Box ; Fly Fishing World ; Hill Coountry Fly Fishers
  Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 7:22 AM
  Subject: [VFB] Chunking & Winding vs Fly Fishing - Food for thought

  I wrote this and sent it to the lists in 2002.  Just came across it
  in my VFB file and thought it might be good to revisit it.

  JIMMY D

  Too me, the generalization that fly fishers are looked upon as a tweedy,
  pipe smoking, creel carrying and snobbish angler is completely off base.
  Many of us fly fishers perceive this to be the way we are viewed by
  others who prefer to catch their quary by a different means.  Sure, some
  of the bearded "chunking & winding" good ole boy bass hunters in their
  $30,000 bass boats feel that way about us, but I don't think the average
  C&W guy is all that different from fly fishers.   I have many friends
  who are among that fishing fraternity, and have found them more
  "curious" about my fly fishing and how I do it, than looking down their
  nose at me. Maybe it's because I still own my big bass boat, have a
  beard, drink a few beers and still chunk and wind on occasion.

  I've converted more than one "good ole boy" bass fisherman to fly
  fishing.  All it takes is a good  size bass on a 4 wt. or a bull
  bluegill an a 2 wt.   Their next question is, "When are you going to
  take me trout fishing?" Each September I take five close friends, and my
  three sons, to New Mexico for a week-long trout expedition.  Six of them
  still do a lot of C&W, but the highlight of their fishing year is the NM
  trip for browns, bows and cutts using little "flea rods" that I built
  for them.  You recon that we fly fishers have been looking down
  collective noses at the C&W guy.    Kind of like the Pheasant hunter
  looking down his nose at the Coon hunter. ;~))  Two completely different
  types of hunting, but hunting just the same.

  How many of you still do some C&W?   Awww, comon - fess up!

  Have A Great Day

  --
  Jimmy D. Moore, "BIGTROUTMAN"  I FISH BECAUSE I MUST!
  More importantly, I fish because my Dad taught me!

12:00 PM