Don
Joe Fusco is hosting a Material Swap right now and he needs more swappers
JimMay your GOD be your fishing partner.

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

From: f...@tribcsp.comto: vfb-m...@googlegroups.comsubject: [VFB] Re: Test -
any buddy out there?- reply 1 thru 12Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:49:22 -0700

So OK, what do we need to liven up the ol' list one more time?
I'm not as busy right now as I have been- that's for sure.
Got home from Moab and had a million things to catch up on, then left for 3
weeks. Now I'm back for awhile ('til mid-March anyway).

Swaps are always good.

1. If someone wants to host a materials swap, it's time for spring cleaning for
me again.  I bought a whole male peacock hide at the Denver Furimski show-
tail, wings, body, crest, everything.  It's the blue-neck variety, so I have
lots if irredescent blue neck fan feathers (good for rope-dubbing), the
tan/green fans, & lots of eyes.  The tail had turned 50% brassy-colored, so I
won't have to sun them to get them to change.  (Brassed-out peacock is great
for nymphs).  I'd be willing to send in some neat feathers if a swapmeister
wants to divvy them up with the participants.  I'd also put in some
cherry-picks for the swapmeister's efforts.

2. Got the video-taping done on Monday for my 1st DVD- "Rope-Dubbing with
DonO".  Had a professional TV cameraman (a friend) come in to do the taping
with professional equipment (for a 'friendly $fee'- LOL).  He'll also do the
editing, so I'm looking forwards to seeing what we did so far.  We taped for
about 6 hours to get it all done, and I macro-photographed flies for about 4
hours yesterday for the inserts.  It will be about one hour in HD format, so
I'll have as many materials demonstrated as the space will allow, and lots of
overlaid photos to help.  Although a lot of patterns are shown, it's really a
technique video, the basics and sub-techniques of the rope-dub applied to many
materials.  I've decided to put the price at $29.95 to VFBers and $39.95 for
the public (I was told by some that it should be $99.95 for as much stuff as it
has), but I don't want to have them pirated because the price is high.  The
cameraman knows how to copy-protect the DVD (latest stuff, anyway), so copying
should be minimal.  The two Denver shows finally motivated me to 'git 'r dun',
as I had many requests for a DVD as I was demonstrating (I could have sold 50
of them easy at each show).  We still have the up-front fishing segment, the
foreward, and the ending with links and credits to finish, so I'm thinking
about May the production and copying should be complete and ready for sales.
The video will be HQ and professionally done, with about a year's worth of
techniques to master- well worth $30/$40.  To start, the main source for the
DVDs will be my website and the fly-shows.

3. Once the rope-dub video has been out a couple of months, I'll host another
rope-dub swap with those VFBers who bought DVDs.  We'll all pick different
materials and submit the practiced efforts.  Like before, 1st place will get a
14/0 Fantasy Fly Monster-Muddler (Nick won it).  And this time,  2nd place will
get a show-mouse and 3rd will get a Whiting grade 1 dry-fly neck.  Everyone
will win as they'll have samples of many types of dubbing and what they look
like rope-dubbed.  Extra points will be awarded to those who submit different
tying-styles of one type of dubbing.

4. Once we get the 'buggs' worked out for doing videos, I'll do the mouse
video, then an advanced rope-dubbing video.  Then on the to-do list is Fly-flex
(Flex-o), McFlyfoam, salt-water streamers, Awesome-hair, and an archive video
of the Baits Motel routine.  I still prefer tying and fishing over media-work,
but I have some long-range goals in mind for doing the videos.

5. BTW, I found a great dubbing inside of one of the dog's stuffed animal toys
(which she happily ripped out for me).  It's a shiny white very-fluffly
synthetic fiber that sets up like a pillow.  It rope-dubs perfectly and gives
all of the different looks (awesome one-material mysis shrimp).  I have to dye
some now and see how it takes the colors.  This stuff would never respond to a
conventional dubbing technique- even worse than ice-dub.  Hmmm...I wonder
what's in the other stuffed toys...and in my wife's stuffed animals...and those
sofa-pillows... hmmmmm...... (Dr. D gets me in trouble again)

6. Saw an article in a recent fly-mag about mako-shark flyfishing out of
SanDiego.  Looked like a ton of fun and a work-out for my #5 Abel and 17wt Cam
Seigler saltwater rod (and me too).  Gotta go do that just once at least. They
run up to 600lb, but they only cast to 200lb ones or less.

7. Planning a trip to Loreto, Baja this fall (hoping to get the proper slot),
once again for dorado, sailfish, and striped marlin.  The wife says she'll give
it a try.  Maybe with the sluggish economy there will be better pickings.

8.  Thanks and Kudos to JimmyD.  Can always count on him for something to read
on the vfb list.

9. Once I get the canoe outfitted for flyfishing, I'll post some photos.  Any
suggestions?
(15' Gruman aluminum square-stern sports-canoe with outriggers)

10.  Just sent another 'goody-box' to a lister, and another one is well
underway.  Is there anyone out there who wants various fly materials in small
amounts and hooks (that need to be stripped or finished and fished) to work
with? (free, of course)  It's all good materials- the extra stuff that I don't
put back where I got it from when I'm done with it, and demo-fly samples from
the shows.  Would prefer to send it to a beginner starting out that needs
experience with different materials and hooks to tie.  1st come-1st served.

11.  Anyone with a CCW permit, please contact me off-list.  Thanks.  Have some
questions.

12.  Any comments?