I thought about building them, but from research I learned that adjustable
floats are best, and easy to remove are even better.  I haven't experienced
yet what the advantages are, but I have read that the outriggers must be up
when under motor-drive.  Maybe they aren't strong enough to handle the water
resistance, or they splash, or work loose with chop, or probably during a
turn, the inside float is driven under the surface (bending or breaking it?)
and the outer one is up in the air.  I bought mine from Cabelas, so if they
don't work, I can get my $$ back.

Have much to learn, maybe by getting wet.  Won't be my 1st time getting
dumped out of a canoe by an outside force!

Speaking of drowned cell phones...I bought some Magellan fishing shirts when
I was in NO, and they are great for $15 (compared to $40 - $60 for my
Columbias and Ex-officios), and ea. came with a clear zippered waterproof
clip/string-attached pouch (4" x 4") for a cell-phone and other items that
can't get wet.  The attachment point is inside the chest pockets and that's
where it stays with your stuff safe.  They have all of the features as the
others, but are very inexpensive.  I beat up my fishing shirts pretty bad,
so these won't be so hard to make rags out of down the road.

One thing I learned is not to put my credit card in with my magnetic money
clip or my cell-phone while it is on.  Seems they mess with the metallic
strip on the credit card.  So I keep it separate with my DL and fishing
license.