Hi VFB:

This is one of those no wrong answer threads...

I prefer a right-hand wind.  I am right-handed, and hopelessly not a
switch hitter.  I learned fishing on a Wright-McGill spin-cast reel
that looked somewhat like a closed fly reel, and it was also right
hand wind, with the rotations going exactly the same as my fly reel.
So fell naturally into using the same while fly fishing.

I do fish for some large, nasty trout, with the lunkers being in the
7-10 pound range.  I cast right handed, and strip line with my left.
When I get a large fish on, I let the line go through the fingers on
my stripping left hand (I always wear fingerless gloves). The left
hand also helps keep the free line from tangling on "stuff" as it is
coming tight, and I can still strip line in faster than I can reel it
in. That gives me lots of control over the line until the line
tightens to the reel.

>From that point onward, I play the fish from the reel, and switch the
rod to my left hand, winding the reel with my right.

To me, winding and retrieving line to prevent slack is extremely
important.  I use a wide arbor reel and can take in line quickly
winding with my right hand.  I would estimate, if I tried with winding
with my "off" hand, I could only retrieve HALF as fast, and not as
smoothly.  When I get a fish that runs toward me, I go back to
stripping line as fast as possible.  I have also been seen running
away from the bank to keep tension in the line!

When playing a big fish, there are all sorts of gremlins that can
cause you to lose the fish IF you are not playing the fish from the
reel.  (Visions of Captain Ahab)

Whatever toots your horn.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon