To me, left hand wind (LHW) refers to the way the reel is set up to operate,
therefore a reel set up for RHW reel is wound in by the right hand, usually
after changing  the rod to the left hand but not always.

Initially, in my early days as a small boy using centre pin reels similar in
action to a fly reel, I used my right hand to wind in and the reel was
mounted accordingly. Then came spinning reels which at that time (mid 1950s)
were almost all left hand wind.  As Don O noted, one gets so used to this
that it eventually becomes automatic and so I wind in with my reel set up
for LHW. Once I found a near new Hardy perfect 31/8th model which was RHW
but it was such a bargain that I bought it thinking that I could manage with
it.  Not so, as I found myself constantly grabbing for a handle that wasn't
there.  As a result I sold it.  My son is left handed and he casts with his
left hand and retrieves with his right.

All my reels, be they fly, spinning, centre pin, baitcasting or large
saltwater multiplier are LHW with only one exception that I can think of
which is a saltwater multiplier which I will probably sell when I find a
suitable replacement.

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver
B. C.   Canada