"$350 to $400 doesn't even get you a decent vise and a good set of tools"
"i'd have to say that if you wanna save money.........buy your flies"
"and ALL fly tyers, collect flies"
"buy what you need for your fishin', and that's IT. But nobody does
that..........most fly fishers, and ALL fly tyers, collect flies"

'Decent' is relative. The life time of a vise isn't measured in years but
how much it has been in use. What qualifies as 'decent' to you would qualify
as 'luxuary' to someone else. Some need a Rolex to see the time... while a
no-name from the gas station is enough to others. ;o)  I know several people
who tie with the cheap tools they bought 30 years ago... and with the same
cheap vise they bought 30 years ago. I had a friend (passed last summer) who
tied on a vise that he had made himself, from parts of an old lawn mower. I
know many who ties only what they need for his fishing... putting their
stuff down in the box again as soon as the holes in the flyboxes are filled.
Not a fly more than necessary...
Some of them haven't done a material buy in years. Hooks have been all they
have needed for a good while. So it's definitely possible to save money in
tying your own flies... if you want to. Of course it takes a while longer to
catch up with the cost for the tying stuff, with all these cheap flies from
Africa and China available. But I don't doubt for a second that you can save
money by tying your own flies... if that's what you want. I, myself, have
failed... shopping obsession is very common in fly-tying. So much to chose
from. "Hmmmm. That looks cool... and that... and that might come in handy
one day... and I better take one of those too, while I'm here. HOLY SMOKE!!!
A BOX OF CLOSE-OUTS!!!!!"   LOL

/Nick