I never buy copper wire in the tyng shops..too expensive. You can get it much
cheaper if you ask your nearby hospital or out patient surgery center to save
you some of their throw away cautery grounding  wires..one thrown away with
every case. The wires look like speaker wire, and a cheap wire stripper (I love
the one that Harbor Freight has) will let you get oodles of copper wire in just
a few minutes of time from these cords.
    If you want red or dark copper wire, check out the nearest motor rewinding
shop. Often they have old wire to sell for very cheap prices, and even the
newer you can buy for a minimal amount of money.  Hope this helps lower your
costs. Joyce