Pretty cool Wes.......i read the entire article.........and as we all should
know by now, "Opinions are like ********, and everybody has one." So, for me
that has always meant that we're all right....and in a sense, nobody is wrong.
It's all in ones point of view. I'm refering of course, to fly fishing as a
"sport." As someone who deals with it every day as a sport, in the sense that
my wife is the Captain of an international team or two, ("competetive fly
fishing"), and because i know many who are involved with competitive fly
fishing.....i have to give them their propers as sportsman...........but also,
as someone who actually see's fly fishing as something that absolutely has
nothing to do with "Sport," i also think that until we go FAR beyond looking at
it in just such a simple minded way.......we will remain in trouble, in terms
of rising the consciousness of those who need to help us, and have the power to
help us do the things we need to do, to insure that the "habitat" is saved for
future generations. As long as fly fishing is deleniated as just a "sport," and
not totally understood as the much deeper thing it really is......we will not
gain the political clout we need to impower ourselves to truely be able to save
the wild places we need to insure, for the futrue of "the sport." And as long
as the "industry" is more concerned with "promoting the sport, and selling
rods".....anglers will continue to see their weekends as something so precious,
they need to spend them ALL fishing, instead of doing stream work or planting
trees. Greed begets greed Bro. i've watched this me me me me me me atitude
perpetuate itself for years amoung fly fishers. And the only thing they can
talk about in the bar at the end of the day, is size and
numbers.................bores the hell out of me. You never hear them talkin'
bout the rip rap or riparian work they just completed along a stream. Or how
many vibert boxes they just got installed into the strem bed for rearing young
trout. It's all, check out my new $800 rod........boring Bro. Highly BORING. i
guess it's just me.........but i don't see much of a future for our steams and
rivers if fly fishing is going to be continuely looked at, as just a
sport.......i don't think that enough caring individualls will be inspired to
do the work that needs to be done if that's as shallow as it's going to remain.
There simply isn't enough time left..............you dig?