From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-m...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Niclas Runarsson
Sent: November 5, 2009 3:51 PM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Re: Nick

With the "Rolex syndrome", I don't mean that the only reason to own it is
'snob appeal'... and I don't look at a LAW tyer and think 'He's wasted some
money there'. The 'Rolex syndrome' I mentioned wasn't meant as 'flashy
syndrome'... just the practical way: A Rolex doesn't give you a better time
than any other watch. It might be a little more reliable than the $15 watch
you can buy in a petrol station... but you don't have to go up to more than
$200 to get a watch that is just as reliable.

But that point where money value takes off from practical value is a
relative one too. Chris Helm and I have discussed the Griffin Montana
Mongoose a lot and I share his opinion (quote): "The Moosegoose should be
melted down and sold for scraps." It's the most unergonomical vise I've
tried myself and I have found several design flaws and it's not much of
precision work either. But I have several friends who love it. It's also
about the individual's own requirements... "Where on the price ladder will
100% quality satisfaction be TO ME?"

Then of course comfortability. If (only examples) the Barracuda, the Law and
the C&F Reference share the same quality value and two guys have the same
quality requirements, I fully understand that Mr.X chose to pay more for the
LAW than for the Barracuda, if he feels more comfortable with it... and the
same thing if Mr.Y chose to pay even more for a C&F, if that's what he feels
most comfortable with. Even if a Rolex won't give you a BETTER watch, it can
still be more comfortable to the individual than the one at the one that is
exactly as good but is much cheaper.

Hans W says it best: "One man's dream is another man's nightmare".

There's no such thing as a "best vise". I can imagine that a certain vise
can collect most quality points and win a quality contest... but since there
always be someone who favours another, it won't be the "best".

/Nick