From: Paul <pm...@tallships.ca>
To: VFB Mail <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, November 11, 2009 8:24:58 AM
Subject: [VFB] Re: Tube Flies (was AttaBoy, Jimmy)

Jeff

While a little dated, Mandel & Johnson's Tube Flies will give you
plenty to chew on for a whole lot less money than the Sawada book.

Here's part of an article I wrote on plastic tube flies. There is also
a vast variety of metal tubes. One advantage not mentioned below---may
not apply to you---is that if you fish both barbed and barbless hooks,
either through choice or regulation, one only needs half as many flies
because the fly is separated from the hook.

Advantage Tubes
•    Cost: Plastic tubes are dirt cheap; the ones I use cost less than
one cent each. One needs only a few hooks for thousands of flies.
Moreover, an array of hook styles can be replaced by several styles is
a few sizes.
•    Weight (1): Plastic tubes are light, making them easier to cast than
flies on large hooks and avoiding those nasty raps in the back of the
head when a gust knocks down a backcast.
•    Weight (2): Very cold water may dampen the taking enthusiasm of some
species, making it essential to get the fly down with sinking or sink-
tip lines. Then, heavy hooks may catch the bottom; plastic tubes ride
higher. With tubes I have noticed a considerable reduction in the
number of my flies contributed to the bottom’s decor.
•    Hooking (1): I believe long-shank hooks can lever themselves loose
during an extended battle. Tubes use short-shank hooks and the tube
rides up the leader after hooking-up. In my experience they retain an
excellent hold.
•    Hooking (2): I admit to reaching somewhat here, but it seems to me
that using tubes has reduced the number of lightly-hooked fish..
•    Versatility: Tubes are incredibly versatile. One can make a half-
inch fly by cutting a tube or a ten-inch fly by stringing several
tubes together; no need to mess with tandems. Some folks are under the
impression that tube patterns must be tied in the round; this is
false.. Standard patterns are easily tied and, with the hook and wing
providing stability, orient themselves properly.
•    Tying ease: Although not a big deal, some patterns are easier to tie
on tubes due to the increased space at the rear of the tube.
•    Storage: Forget expensive fly-boxes (unless you want to buy a
special tube box from the UK), a simple plastic box with divided
compartments is all one needs. Oh yes, and say goodbye to barbless
hooks falling out of a fly-patch. Just throw the wet fly in the box
and open the lid at the end of the day—nothing to rust.

Liabilities
•    Although someone will surely argue with me, I consider tubes to be
useful only for the equivalent of a standard size 10 or larger hook.
I’m speaking here of shank length. Some of my smallest tubes are mated
to size 14 hooks.
•    Inexpensive plastic tubes have a larger diameter than most hook
wires; thus you will use more of any wrapped material for each fly.
Regardless, smaller diameter plastic tubing is available, just not as
cheaply or easily.

Paul Marriner
Outdoor Writing & Photography. Owner: Gale's End Press. Member: OWAA &
OWC. Author of: (NEW) Atlantic Salmon: A Fly Fishing Reference, A
Compendium of Canadian Fly Patterns (co-author), Stillwater Fly
Fishing: Tools & Tactics, How to Choose & Use Fly-tying Thread, Modern
Atlantic Salmon Flies, Miramichi River Journal, Ausable River Journal,
and Atlantic Salmon.