I made good experience with the Tiemco 105 as tube Fly hook.
Thomas

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-m...@googlegroups.com] Im Auftrag
von Wes Wada
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. November 2009 16:48
An: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Betreff: [VFB] Re: Tube Flies (was AttaBoy, Jimmy)

Hi Jeff,

In the past, I've used the plastic tube from a Q-Tip.  Works fine.
Also, any hobby shop will have an assortment of plastic and brass
tubes that can be cut down for use.  You can line a metal tube with a
plastic insert by finding a tube and insert that are of similar inside
and outside diameters, then just heat the plastic with a lighter to
form rounded ends of plastic encapsulating the ends of the metal tube.

On the other question, circle hooks would likely not be a good choice.
 Circle hooks are primarily for bait applications where you don't want
to deep hook fish in the gut.  If you strike with a circle hook, often
you will just pull the fly out of the fish's mouth.  These hooks are
designed so that fish hook themselves as the circle hook is designed
to lodge in the corner of the fish's jaw.  Instead try to find a short
shank, wide gape hook.  I happen to like a Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap
in small sizes, but that hook is hard to find.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Jeff Frye <bighawk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that information, Paul. I am going to pick up that Mandel and
Johnson book for about $20. Photos should be terrific, as I see Jim
Schollmeyer was the shooter. I am curious what folks use for plastic tubes,
metal tubes and for junction tubing. I am not going to save much money
buying a lot of specialized tubes from Eumer. It would be cheaper in a lot
of cases to just buy hooks. I have a good supply for tungsten coneheads at a
great price and a big stash of tungsten beads. Also does anybody have
suggestions on Mustad hooks? Are circle hooks a good idea for these? I knew
I was going to hit the gold mine of information here as usual. And I was
able to get Paul Marriner off the bench! Thanks again

e-mails. Otherwise Facebook or an IM might be a better place for that kind
of stuff. There are folks that used to be regulars on here that are gone
form the list. I know that they are alive because I still get private e-mail
from them.

>> That said, I know several years ago, we had a thread on tube flies going.
I am now actually interested tube flies and am wondering if anybody can: