To all:

I was fishing the green drake hatch on the Yellowstone and caught a
beautiful big cutthroat.  As I was playing him a pelican landed and came
swimming down the river.  I decided to stop playing the fish and let the
pelican pass as I had a bad feeling.  The fish went calm and all was well
until the pelican got close to the fish.  The fish panicked and darted.  I
would never have imagined a pelican could move so fast.  Now I had a pelican
on my line.  He took off.  Now I panicked as all the line I had was rapidly
leaving the reel.  As it hit the backing I dropped the rod grabbed the line
and held on hoping that the break would occur at the tippet and not some
more critical place - and I did not want the pelican - at least not in the
park.  (I wonder how pelican feathers are to tie with?) The line did break
at the tippet and I was able to get my line back.  A couple across the river
were laughing so hard tears were flowing.

The only other thing weird I hooked was me.  Actually, a brownie somehow got
me back as I released him.  It buried the hook past the barb in my hand.  As
luck would have it, this was one hook I had forgotten to flatten the barb.
The hook was in my right hand and I am right handed.  I sat there wondering
do I try and push it through, go to the hospital or yank it out.  I was just
getting started and the fishing was really good so forget the hospital.  Now
push it through or yank.  I was not comfortable with the possibilities of
trying to push it through with my left hand and I had nothing to cut off the
barb if I did.   So I attached the forceps to the hook and holding them with
the left hand I pulled my right hand away.  It was quite bloody but the cold
water helped and I was able to continue fishing all the while bleeding on my
grip.  I promised myself not to forget to pinch the barbs anymore.

Mike

--
Mike Bliss
Aloha from Hawaii