>I don't have, but wish I did, A. K. Best's book on harvesting skins and furs.

Joyce,

A.K.'s book is "Dyeing and Bleaching, Second Edition: Natural
Fly-Tying Materials".

I think the book you want is by Scott Seymoure.

Here's the Amazon.com listing:

 From Field to Fly: The Fly Tier's Guide to Skinning and Preserving
Wild Game by Scott J. Seymour (Paperback - Feb 2001)
Buy new: $9.95

11 new from $5.40
8 used from $5.39

I've tried to skin starlings - their skin is like ultra-thin rice
paper - VERY fragile.  I ended up plucking the "eye" feathers.  Not
the best way, but it worked.

Good luck,

a.
--