If for some reason you wanted to use balsa instead of closed cell foam,
you can buy balsa shaped circular in long rods from a model shop or
sometimes hardware stores for only a couple dollars, and they can be
easily shaped by putting a nail through the centre and into a dremel or
regular drill and sanding to shape whilst spinning  it against sandpaper
glued/stapled to a small block of wood.

Another thing I like, is if using foam, you can get very long and white
round foam lengths used for sealing around  window frames and doors
before plastering over. They cost almost nothing, come in a couple
different sizes, and are very easy to glue, shape and colour. I glue
reflective christmas decoration paper and glitter to it after colouring
in, and then coat it with epoxy or silicon/softdip, etc and they work
brilliantly. Not as indestructable as closed cell foam, but for a couple
cents each, who cares. You could get hundreds for the price of a single
pack of preformed heads.

Reuven