  From: Don Ordes
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:59 PM
  Subject: [VFB] blending dubbing

  I just tried something that worked well.  Has anyone else done this?  Beats
getting dubbing in my espresso via my coffee grinder.  I found one hit on the
internnet so it is not novel, but I also don't think it is as common as the
coffee grinder method.

  I needed to blend some rabbit-dubbing with some ice-dub, flash dub, & quick
descent.  I needed a good blend and no lumps in the blend.  So I filled up a
tupperware dish about the size of a coffee-cup with hot tap-water.  I added the
rabbit dubbing and then chopped up the other 3 dubbings over the container.

  I stirred until everything broke up and was a well blended soup, than I
drained almost all of the water out, leaving the dubbing.  I stirred it one
more time to make sure the quick-descent was mixed in, then I poured it all out
through a paper towel to strain it and then used the paper towel to soak up all
of the extra water.

  The result was a damp glob of well-blended hilited part-natural dubbing.
Working with it damp gave me a very tight well-defined segment.  But I'm
letting the rest dry so I can fluff it a bit and tie some fuzzy hares ears that
have cool colors mixed in with the rabbit.  These colors will accentuate the
segments more and give the fly some flash in place of the gold rib, which
always get bitten loose.