Hi Tony,
I own the Thompson Cobra, and I like to use it. Was my first rotary
vise, and I took it with me to the 2nd Sowbug trip (or both?). Maybe you
remember, you told me that you don't like the design.
It has some advantages and disadvantages.
The additional tools only fit to this vise, and the bobbin hanger is
sort of pain.
But you can easily lay your left hand on the vise top, and still hold
material to the hook. Helps to ty in very small materials. It is heavy
and steady.
I own a Regal vise, which is great for larger flies and spinning,
because it has good holding power. But you must be careful not to chip
the jaws. But we discussed that.
My workhorse is a danvise, but unfortunately I have worn out the jaws,
tying too much saltwater. The jaws are somehow bend outside. You have
limited access to the back side of the fly. Maybe I buy later a new set
of jaws, saltwater jaws, and the extension.
I have 2 more vises, I use them for travel. indian, but ok.
Don't ask me why I bought the individual vices. All are gifts from my
wife, so she selected them. Always a surprise, when she enters a fly shop.
Rene