Wes,

I've never tied or fished tube flies, but I like to solve problems.
First of all, what are the advantages (assets) of tube flies,
so that the solution doesn't negate the advantages of the tube fly?

1.  Fly moves up leader and doesn't get chewed on.
2.  Hook styles and sizes, etc. can be changed and still use the same fly
3.

And so on...

then we list the drawbacks:

1.  Lose the hook and lose the fly (sinking fly only)
2.
3.

Then we try to solve the drawbacks without messing with the advantages.

Considerations:

1.  Toothy vs non-toothy fish.
2.  Bite tippets or wire leaders applicable
3.

Fix must overcome:

1.  Hook breaking off or being bitten off, allowing tube to slide off line.
2.
3.

Possible fixes:

1.  Use bite tippet
2.  Devise tube stop above hook- know, bead, split-shot, etc.
3.
4.

Any more?