From: Larry Johnson <johns...@uvu.edu>
To: VFB Mail <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, August 2, 2010 12:53:30 PM
Subject: Re: [VFB] Waterside Tying

Wes:  When I take my tying equipment and materials with me, I take a
couple of big c-clamps, and set up on a camp-ground picnic table.
Problem with that is the wind/breezes, which sends everything off the
table.  I have done some in the motel, but none stream-side.  I remember
the old video "The Way of a Trout" in which the fisherman sets up his
vise and ties a coachman or something and catches the huge trout....

Larry Johnson
Springville, Utah

>>> "Wes Wada" <wada....@gmail.com> 8/1/2010 9:33 PM >>>
How about a discussion on waterside (stream, lake, marine) tying tips?

My spouse Linda and I have done a lot of van camping and traveling.
Picture
us parked at waterside –– waiting for bug hatch time or sheltering
a passing
storm.  I am doing a pretty good amount of tying, sitting behind the
van's
steering wheel.  (Not while driving!)

We traveled then with a Thompson A pedestal vise, my first tying vise
pressed into road duty.  I have built this little plywood platform
thingee
(have to do a photo).

The tying vise clamps onto a crosspiece on the plywood thingee, and
the
whole arrangement wedges comfortably between my solar plexus area and
the
slant of the steering wheel.  If you think about your specific design
and
dimensions, you can make yourself a quick, inexpensive vise mount and
working area.  Yes, the Art of
Tying Behind Your Steering Wheel.

The little plywood thingee is also the tying station for the top of
picnic
tables and the table described next:

For tying in the interior of the van, I keep much of my tying stuff in
the
side pockets of one of those high-impact plastic lap tables. If I am
sitting
on the bed of the van, back against comfy pillows, I can just plop the
lap
table over me, and set up a tying station in a flash.

Love to hear about your tips and experiences for tying waterside. Hope
you
are having a memorable summer.

Wes (and Linda) Wada
Bend, Oregon